Monday, May 11, 2009

In Dirty Dancing, do you know what song Lisa is practicing badly while Baby is painting the palm tree?

It was right before Johnny turns down the "extra dance" with that older lady.


It's something like "You can wacker all you wanna you can wacker while I walk away away away away"

In Dirty Dancing, do you know what song Lisa is practicing badly while Baby is painting the palm tree?
According to the IMDB forum, Jane Brucker, who plays Lisa, Baby's sister, wrote the song!





LYRICS from forum:


I don't really know what wackle means...


I believe the name of the song is "Hula Hana of Kamana Whala Hula Bay".





Who’s this Hula Hana of Kamana Whala Hula Bay? She will hula when you have a lovely gift she wants. You’ll hear her say, "Bring me a pineapple that doesn't sting, a bird that swims, a fish that sings. I wanna, I really wanna. Bring me a volcano that blows up all the molten jama and a blue banana,


I canna canna. Bring me a pineapple that doesn't sting, a bird that swims, a fish that sings. I wanna, I really wanna.


Bring me a volcano that blows up all the molten jama and a blue banana. I canna canna. And you can wackle all you wanna while I hula all the day away, and you can wackle all you wanna, while I hula all the day away."


All the boys of Okakokanoka Island gather all the gifts that Hula Hana asks. They have combed their island home, fulfilling each whim, and it's worth it when they watch her shake her grass~three, four, five...


"Bring me a gentle breeze that I can keep, an ocean that’s oh so deep. I wanna I really wanna." She will hula when you have a lovely gift she wants. You’ll hear her say, "Bring me a pineapple that doesn't sting, a bird that swims, a fish that sings. I wanna I really wanna. Bring me a volcano that blows up all the molten jama and a blue banana. I canna canna. And you can wackle all you wanna, you can wackle while I walk away, away, away!"





The person providing the lyrics saw a stage production, so perhaps the words were slightly clearer. I wouldn't swear to the above transcription. I would guess a number of those words differently. In fact, I went through and guessed at the punctuation; plus, I capitalized some letters. What it ends up sounding like is one of those "impossible task" songs that women in folksongs set for suitors. NOW it makes sense~sort of.





If I can find that song on YouTube, perhaps I could mop up the lyrics. I've done that before. I'll see what else I can come up with. However, each place I've found lyrics has those from IMDB's forum! Do we know a good source for offbeat information or what?!


No comments:

Post a Comment