Thursday, May 20, 2010

Help finding a painting?

I'm sketchy on the details, and what I have could be wrong. I keep seeing it pop up when there's no artist information attached, but I'm fairly certain it's by Paul Klee. It's vertical, done in muted grays and (maybe) beiges except for a green five-appendaged thing at the top of an abstract stack of overlapping squares and rectangles. The green thing could either be a hand, a leaf, a palm tree, or an upside down hand of unripened bananas.





The reason I believe it's by Paul Klee is because the very first time I ever saw this painting, I was pretty young and I'd just seen this TV movie about Bob Saget's sister who had scleroderma, so when the lady talking about the painting mentioned that the artist had that disease, it was meaningful and stuck. The only artist I know to have this disease was Paul Klee. However, I've looked through many online resources on his work, and I haven't been able to find the painting.





Any ideas?

Help finding a painting?
I don't know where you've looked, but I've just looked at Art Resource and Bridgeman Art Library on the Grove site (our library subscribes), about 300 images and no sign of it either. One possibility could be that these databases may not include works in private collections, but as you say that the painting keeps popping up it must be around somewhere, if you mean that you see it on the web it would be helpful if you could post a link next time you see it. The other possibility is that it is by a less famous artist. It does sound a bit 'organic' for Klee, he didn't use plant-like motifs much you'll have noticed.


I did find a reference though to the TV film that I imagine you saw - 'For Hope' 1996, if that's any help:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Hope


No comments:

Post a Comment